Frequently Asked Questions

At the UCDSB, we offer three-tiered English as a Second Language (ESL) support for students at our international hub schools. Students who need the additional support will receive the support they need and will have a dedicated English Language Learner instructor and classroom, an ESL course that students receive credit for towards their high school diploma and after-school classes to improve ESL, assist with homework  and to help prepare for language proficiency tests

Our homestay program is managed by Canada Homestay International (CHI), the largest homestay company in Canada.

Canada Homestay works directly with us to arrange a personalized match between you and your Canadian host, based on your backgrounds, interests, lifestyles, and educational goals. We want to know what your expectations are for your experience in homestay, your background, what you like to eat, whether you like pets and what you like to do in your free time.

The information you give us in your application helps us select the host who is most likely to meet your expectations.

If you find that you are not comfortable in your homestay, we will work with you to find you a home that you are comfortable in.

To apply online to the Upper Canada District School Board, click here.

Along with your application, we request the following documents in order to place you in the school that best matches your needs:

A letter of introduction written in English. (This helps us to get to know you better and to find out what your goals are)

A letter written in English from current school to confirm the student’s grade placement and to describe student’s conduct in the school.

An English school transcript from the most current and previous school year.

If you have any questions about the application process, please email us at [email protected].

In Canada, our schools are not ranked. Public schools in Canada are all held to provincial government standards of quality, ensuring that all international secondary school students in Canada have access to a world-class educational opportunity.

A student needs a minimum of 30 credits to graduate from high school. If the student is planning to attend university he or she may need more credits. Most foreign students need to take more than 30 credits because they have to satisfy the English requirements for university.